|STEP into Storytime available at ALA Store|
STEP into Storytime: Using StoryTime Effective Practice to Strengthen the Development of Newborns to Five-Year-Olds by Saroj Nadkarni Ghoting and Kathy Fling KlattStory Time Effective Practice (STEP), developed by the authors, is an approach that articulates the link between child development theory and storytimes. This important resource shows how presenters can use STEP to craft a storytime that is effective for mixed-age groups and adheres to best practices for emotional, social, physical, and cognitive support. In this book, Ghoting and Klatt, both early literacy experts:
- Offer more than 30 complete ready-to-use storytimes appropriate for newborns to children age 5, along with extension activities
- Show how STEP relates to emotional, social, cognitive, and physical development
- Explain how storytime materials and activities directly connect to language and literacy development
- Include preparation, planning, and performance tips, plus guidance for interacting with parents and caregivers
- Provide lists of recommended additional resources, including organizations, websites, and sources for storytime time activity ideas
This book is a must-have guide for storytime presenters, preschool teachers, child care providers, and parents of young children.