What are the Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards?
|Cover image from WMELS|
Why have model early learning standards?
Based on research and supported by evidence-based practices, the Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards provide a framework for families, professionals and policy makers to:
- Share a common language and responsibility for the well-being of children from birth to first grade;
- Know and understand developmental expectations of young children;
- Understand the connection among the foundations of early childhood, K-12 educational experiences, and lifelong learning.
Download or order WMELS:
- English Version 2014 - 4th edition (pdf)
- Spanish version 2009 - 2nd edition (pdf)
- Hmong version (pdf)
- Early Literacy Update (pdf) section replacement, English version
- The WMELS books are available in English & Spanish from the Child Care Information Center. The cost is $3 each with a minimum order of 3 books for a $9 total which must be prepaid.