|Reach Out & Read Wisconsin|
I am relaying this conversation so that you have the courage to have a similar conversation in your community.
- So, I said, "Hi Darlene! I thought about you yesterday."
- To which she replied, "Oh, really? What about?"
- "Well I was with a group of OWLS librarians and we heard about the work of our Appleton colleagues who are connecting with local physicians and a program called Reach Out and Read. Are you familiar with it?" I asked.
- "Hmmmm. Not sure. What's it all about?"
- I took a deep breath and said, "It's this great national initiative to use the well-baby check ups to give away free age-appropriate books to families and to use it as a diagnostic tool in the examination. Dr. Dipesh Navsaria, from UW-Madison, has been talking about this program with librarians now for a couple of years and personally testifies about how he can find out so much through the exchange of a book with a child and how it allows for a discussion with the parent about what they can expect a child that age to experience when they are read to. I know our hospital auxiliary already provides books for the children, but I think they are dispensed by the medical assistant, not the doctor. Might you be interested in watching some videos about how doctors use Reach Out and Read?"
- Without hesitating, she said, "Yes! I'll take a look at them and try it. Once I try it myself, I can bring it up to other doctors at ThedaCare, too."
Suppressing my screams of delight, and dance of joy, I offered her a pen and paper for her email address and immediately found the links online and shot off an email to her for Monday morning viewing.
Thanks again for agreeing to take a look at this information from Reach Out and Read. I was so impressed with information from Dr. Navsaria, that I really want to partner with local physicians to see what we can do to enhance the already terrific Prescription to Read program started by the hospital auxiliary. Please let me know what you think and if you see anyway we can work together.
- Reach Out and Read
- Wisconsin Reach Out and Read
- Dr. Dipesh Navsaria, MD, MPH, MSLIS - University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Examples of what it looks like in the examining room:
No need to double-dog dare you....you, too, can have this conversation! I will keep you posted to the next chapter of this story as it unfolds!
Sue Abrahamson, Children's Librarian
Waupaca Area Public Library, Waupaca, WI