The response to the Supercharged Storytimes online learning opportunity in late 2015 was overwhelming positive! The host of the project, OCLC, has recently opened up the learning opportunity to all public library staff members and volunteers in Wisconsin.
Why might you take advantage of this free, high-quality, early literacy professional development opportunity? Hear what one participant had to say:
As someone who took this course when it was first offered, I have to say I really loved it! Most librarians who do storytimes know about the early literacy skills, so those concepts aren’t entirely new, but VIEWS2 really does inspire you to think more intentionally about what you’re including in storytimes and why. It gave me courage to do more asides to the parents so they realize the rhythm stick activity we do weekly isn’t just fun (or as one dad jokingly put it “weapons training”), it’s helping kids understand syllables through play. I hope more librarians take you up on this opportunity!
Abby Bussen, MLIS
Muskego Public Library
JOIN THE SUPERCHARGED COMMUNITY
The Public Library Development Team at DPI is pleased to offer a new learning opportunity for all public library staff members and volunteers in Wisconsin who are interested in early childhood literacy and storytimes. Supercharged Storytimes in a dynamic online learning community where you can explore research-based early literacy concepts, and specific strategies for reinforcing those concepts for kids, parents, and caregivers with intentionality and enthusiasm. The Wisconsin Division of Libraries and Technology was selected to partner with OCLC’s WebJunction program to bringSupercharged Storytimes to local providers, given the demonstrated leadership and commitment to early learning by libraries in our state.
Upon joining the Supercharged learning community, public library staff members and volunteers in Wisconsin will have access to:
- Recorded webinars that provide an overview of the significance of specific early literacy concepts, and strategies for enhancing interactivity in your practice;
- Online supporting materials, such as videos, articles, tools and tip sheets;
- Supercharged discussion forums, offering the ability to share ideas and collaborate with other public library colleagues around the state.
For more information on the learning available in this space, review the Supercharged Storytimes Orientation Outline. There is no cost for public library staff and volunteers in Wisconsin to join, and the space will be available through March 31, 2016. To sign up:
- Go to learn.webjunction.org and click on “Log in” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Have a WebJunction account? Simply log in with your username and password.
- New to WebJunction? Follow the instructions to create a new account.
- After logging in, enroll in Supercharged Central – Wisconsin by going to the WebJunction Course Catalog and search courses by entering: Supercharged
- At the enrollment options page, select the Supercharged Central community for Wisconsin, and then click on “Enroll me.”
- After you select “Enroll me,” you will be see the Supercharged Storytimes community of practice page. Welcome to the community! The “Getting Started” information at the main page will tell you all you need to know to begin supercharging your practice!